- SPECIALIST DNA SERVICESInnovative services from Cellmark
- HIGH SENSITIVITY DNAA more sensitive form of DNA analysis
- MITOCHONDRIAL DNAUseful for bones, hair and degraded samples
- Y-STR DNA PROFILINGMale specific DNA analysis
- ANIMAL SPECIES TESTINGIdentifying species by mitochondrial sequencing
- COLD CASE REVIEW SERVICEUnlocking the secrets of unsolved crime
- SEXUAL OFFENCE INVESTIGATIONA specialist service that delivers results
Cellmark’s animal species identification test provides a high level of discrimination between vertebrates.
Based on mitochondrial DNA testing, Cellmark's innovative species identification service can be used on tissue, body fluid and hair samples to identify a specific animal species. The test targets the 12S rRNA gene which is found in all vertebrates, but not insects or plants. The test is extremely sensitive and works well on degraded samples.
This ISO17025 accredited forensic service is useful for the investigation of criminal cases of animal cruelty, illegal trade and trafficking as well as poaching cases. It can also be useful for determining if degraded remains are of human or non-human origin.
Cellmark’s 12S rRNA mitochondrial sequencing service was developed and validated in 2004 and subsequently accredited to ISO17025. The service involves the comparison of the resulting sequence against the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) database to determine the specific animal species of the tested sample with a very high degree of differentiation.
Cellmark also provides a separate meat identification test for determining the species content of meat food products. Please contact Cellmark for further details.