- SPECIALIST DNA SERVICESInnovative services from Cellmark
- HIGH SENSITIVITY DNAA more sensitive form of DNA analysis
- MITOCHONDRIAL DNAUseful for bones, hair and degraded samples
- Y-STR DNA PROFILINGMale specific DNA analysis
- ANIMAL SPECIES TESTINGIdentifying species by mitochondrial sequencing
- COLD CASE REVIEW SERVICEUnlocking the secrets of unsolved crime
- SEXUAL OFFENCE INVESTIGATIONA specialist service that delivers results
Advances in forensic science have led to an increased interest in conducting cold case reviews.
A cold case is one which remains unsolved, despite the best efforts of police investigators: the crime could have occurred several years or even decades ago, but if evidence has been retained there is always the potential that forensic science could still provide the crucial lead even if the exhibits have been previously examined.
The ongoing development of forensic techniques is continuing to provide increased detection sensitivity. This, together with the introduction of novel approaches to examining evidence means that the forensic re-examination of unsolved crimes at Cellmark regularly delivers significant investigative breakthroughs.
While innovative science can be the key, it can also be the fresh review of the case by one of Cellmark’s experienced team of cold case scientists that makes the difference. We have numerous examples where the combination of skilled problem solving and innovative thinking, together with the application of the latest science and technology has delivered results which have led to a successful prosecution many years after the original offence.
Indeed, in 2015 Scotland’s Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland described the work of Cellmark’s scientists in the re-investigation of the World’s End murders as ‘awe inspiring’.
Click the link to download our brochure for an overview of our service.